Spring has always been a time to renew our spirit and our relationships. Nowadays, we need to be creative in our interactions to ensure our loved ones are safe.
Considering the last few months that we have lived, it is safe to think that we all need a little sun, open space, but mainly we need to reconnect with the ones we love. One-to-one interaction is vital when we consider the wellbeing of every human being, but especially older adults.
COVID-19 vaccination has allowed us to do that, to see each other, hug, and spend time in person with our loved ones (if everybody in the interaction is fully vaccinated). But COVID-19 vaccination may have also given us a false sense of safety that may lead to overlooking some basics that protect us from staying safe and healthy.
It is very tricky to know who is vaccinated, and who is not, who has underlying risks, etc. We suggest you adhere to the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention to make the most out of your time with your loved ones.
Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention
- The facility should screen everybody for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., temperature checks, questions about and observations of signs or symptoms), and deny entrance to those with signs or symptoms or those who have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 infection in the prior 14 days (regardless of the visitor’s vaccination status). Cooperate and comply with the screening.
- Practice hand hygiene (use of alcohol-based hand rub is preferred).
- Always use a face covering or mask (covering mouth and nose).
- Maintain social distancing, at least six feet between persons.
- Follow instructional signage throughout the community and read and understand the visitor’s educational resources on COVID-19 (e.g., use of face-covering or mask, specified entries, exits, and routes to designated areas, hand hygiene).
Do your part, get vaccinated, and adhere to the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention to make this Spring memorable.
At Residential Plaza at Blue Lagoon, we work closely with our staff and family members to safeguard our residents’ health and wellbeing.